Thursday, October 11, 2012

Picketing at the clinic


My nurses and many others have said how great it was that I had such a supportive family, friends and colleagues during all this. That is definitely true, and I understand what they mean. But I couldn’t help but think, are there families out there that are not supportive? Are there families out there that say, “Now honey, you know I love you, but I just don’t support your decision to have cancer.” Or maybe, "I don't really believe in your choice to remove this beautiful growth from your body."


Or maybe it’s worse, maybe there’s a whole group of Tumor Rights activists out there that have bumper stickers and t-shirts that say things like “Metastasis Is a Right,” or “Tumors Have Feelings Too,” “Chemotherapy is Murder,” etc.


So this leads to my dream last night. I want to preface this by saying that I support a woman's right to choose what to or not to do to their body. I dreamt that when I was heading into the Cancer Clinic for chemotherapy there was a big crowd of Pro-Tumor protesters with signs and megaphones, chanting that I was a murderer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment